Saturday 3 December 2011

An uncharacteristically productive Saturday

Turns out the secret to revising for nearly five hours non-stop is to spend it in a café and have two strong café crèmes (complete with biscuits and chocolate) with good music and a friend who won't let you leave before she does.

My hands are shaking a bit. I should probably be more worried than I am.

The café in question is something of a haunt for the anglophone Eramus students - a bookshop called, inventively, Le Bookshop. It's full of English books at eye-watering prices but serves the cheapest coffee of any of the (many) cafés I've sampled in the three months I've been here. It's in the Old Town so the downstairs, where the majority of the bookshop and the tables and chairs are, is underground, all stone and vaulted ceilings and generally very attractive. They host a weekly conversation evening which is meant to be really good for meeting the locals, even though it takes them some persuading to speak in French, and not English! Definitely going on my to-do list for next term. Plus, there are plenty of wall sockets and their wifi is about a hundred times faster than what our halls can offer us, so that's a huge draw. But for me, the main attraction (apart from the dishy waiter, naturally) is their coffee. €1.90 for a café crème that always comes with two little biscuits and a tiny square of dark chocolate. Nom.

Dinner tonight was simple - bread with Boursin and ham on top, and a few petits pains grillés with the last bit of houmous. Carb overload, I know; but as the plan is to go to this bar (which has become the closest thing to our regular) in about an hours' time and have a couple of well-earned drinks, I think having plenty of bread to line the stomach is probably a good idea. Besides, I think I'm still feeling full from the burger I had at 10.30 last night with Chris and Ellen. Only in France.

No comments:

Post a Comment