Monday 5 December 2011

Breakfast of champions

For all I may complain about living here sometimes, I am definitely going to miss being able to nip out for pain au chocolat and coffee for breakfast from the canteen in the grounds of my halls every so often.

I try not to make a habit of it because I really would be the size of a house when I came back if I did this too often (amazingly there is a 'too often' when it comes to buttery croissants... Who knew?). But for mornings when you really, really need something to pick you up, there is something indescribably wonderful about being able to hop out of bed, get dressed and then go and get a warm croissant and some hot coffee. Today was definitely one of those days. Especially as I had no milk (therefore no coffee, the horror) and nothing for breakfast. Unwilling to go into an exam without having eaten something, what other option did I have?

I had an exam at noon which I was definitely in the midst of a panic about, so last night I decided that the thing to do was to get up early(ish), get about an hours' worth of revision done, then buy said breakfast, come back to halls and continue some last-minute note consolidating. And may I say, there is nothing in this world that makes revision of "Origines et diversité des langues" more bearable than a cup of coffee and a still-warm pain au chocolat. Particularly when it's dunked into the coffee. Yum.

The exam? It was okay. Not fab, not terrible, just okay. But you know, I could spend days revising for these exams; or I could just do my best, be prepared to resit them in February, and actually enjoy my year abroad. It's unlikely that I'll get an opportunity to live somewhere where fresh bread and pastries are just outside my door, and I intend to make the most of it whilst I'm here ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment