Saturday 21 January 2012

An old favourite

I think one of my favourite spices would have to be cinnamon. It's an incredibly versatile flavour that lends itself as well to savoury dishes as it does to sweet dishes. There is something very indulgent-feeling about it, and for me it brings back wonderful memories of Cinnabon from when I lived in the States. It's also very yummy added to hot chocolate on a cold winter night!

I've been having a very cinnamon-y few days recently thanks to my lovely little cake pops - which did make sobbing whilst watching Sherlock more bearable, even if I was afraid to look away from the screen just for the second it would take to grab one off the plate by my hand!

But the actual reason why I bought myself some cinnamon (canelle in French, in case you're ever in France and in need of cinnamon) was to make an old favourite of mine - cinnamon chicken.



I think the first time I had it was when I was probably only 8 or 9, and I can still remember thinking then, wow. Now, given that I'm turning 21 in a month and a half and it still rates pretty highly on my favourite meals list, I'd say that it's a fairly successful recipe!

Making it is simplicity itself, and it's just as easy to make for 4 people as it is for one - I work on the basis of one red onion and one chicken breast per person, and then as much cinnamon as you like. The recipe says that you need 1.5 tsp of cinnamon to do enough for 4, but I like my cinnamon so I don't worry too much about being particularly scientific about it. The soft brown sugar you add at the end is the same principle - again, they estimate 1 heaped tablespoon for four people, so if I'm only making enough for myself, I just pour in "some" and leave it at that. Because I'm feeling particularly generous, I'll even give you the recipe so you can make this delicious meal for yourself.

To serve 4
1. Peel and slice 4 red onions into thick rings and put into a saucepan or casserole dish with 4 chicken breasts (boneless chicken thighs work just as well too) and 75g of butter.
2. Add 1.5 tsp of cinnamon and 150ml of water to the pan, then season.
3. Heat gently until the butter has melted, then bring to the boil, cover the pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add 1 rounded tbsp of soft brown sugar, and keep on a low heat until the chicken is cooked, checking often that the sugar hasn't caught.
5. Once the chicken has cooked, if the sauce looks a bit watery, remove the chicken and boil the sauce until it becomes thick and syrupy.

I have only ever had this with couscous and I think it complements the meal perfectly. Give it a go - and let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment