Sunday 15 January 2012

Good things come to those who wait...

... Or so goes the adage. Well, let me say, that is totally and utterly true. You may remember my stumbling upon a recipe for a chorizo and bean soup over on the BBC Food website and mentally filing it away to make this week. I made it tonight and my goodness was it good. The recipe calls it a soup but mine turned out as more of a stew - a 'stoup', if you like - which I think was from using a tin of chopped tomatoes rather than cutting fresh tomatoes into quarters and putting that in. It's the longest I've waited for a meal to cook since I got here but it was well worth the wait. It was also a good way of finding out that the hobs in my kitchen switch off after being on for an hour - luckily this particular discovery was made just as I was coming in to collect it after leaving it to simmer for 45 minutes.



The joy of this recipe is that once everything is cooked through, which doesn't really take that long, it's up to you how much longer you leave it before digging in. I used normal, rather than cooking, chorizo which means you don't have to wait for it to cook through. Plus, I tend to find that this kind of chorizo tends to have a more intense flavour than the uncooked ones, which means that the spicy paprika from the sausage really flavours the rest of the 'stoup'.

This was definitely the perfect meal for a day like today when you want something that'll keep you full for a while. I had it at dinner with a slice of bread and butter because I didn't surface early enough to have a 'proper' breakfast; but it could easily be had as a late-ish lunch so you'd just need a bit of bread and cheese for your dinner. Even better, I've got some batter left from the cinnamon cake pops I made earlier in the week so I think I'll be making some of those for eating as I sob into my jumper during the "Sherlock" finale. It's funny how on days when I can't summon up the energy just to make a sandwich I can still find the motivation to make teeny tiny little cakes, dipped in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar while still piping hot. Scrumptious.

No comments:

Post a Comment