Monday 13 December 2010

Hello, I'm Becky, and I'm a student foodie.

It seems to me that the idea of being both a student and enjoying cooking good, hearty food is not the myth it once was. I know that in my house, there are no Pot Noodles, no tins of pasta, and (on my part, anyway), no frozen mash.

I think I can blame an awful lot of my love for food on my parents. My mum and dad raised me with an appreciation for food, and it was expected that I'd be able to cook for myself well before the prospect of university began to loom over us.

I'm in my second year now, and have all but finished my first term - and just about managed to share a kitchen with my two housemates, Izzy and Georgia. We're quite lucky in that living in such a small unit (and one I'm very used to, being an only child) means that it is possible for the three of us to cook meals all together, when many of my friends who are sharing a house with four or more other people simply can't. Nonetheless, with schedules varying so differently for each of us both in terms of lectures and when we like eating, nine times out of ten we're cooking separately - but we do manage to share in that all important area: ice cream!

Personally, I'd choose cooking something from scratch over a microwave meal any day, and when I'm back at home, there is nothing I love more than standing over the hob, stirring a massive casserole dish that's bubbling away. But in a kitchen that's only just built for three, and having to share this space with two others who might not appreciate a Le Creuset pot taking up the largest ring on the hob (not to mention my sudden awareness of just how much food costs - who knew a block of normal cheese could be so expensive!), I've been forced to dial down my gastronomic aspirations, and settle for good tasting, filling food that doesn't cost the earth, doesn't take forever, and doesn't create lots of mess.

This blog is going to be my diary of food that I cook for myself as a student that is cheap but doesn't compromise on taste. I'll document both the good and the bad, old favourites and new experiments. Ultimately, this is my chance to express my inner Nigella - only with significantly less space and money to spend.

No comments:

Post a Comment