Wednesday 22 August 2012

Falafel

It was exactly a year ago yesterday that I arrived in Montpellier, absolutely terrified out of my wits as to what the coming year would entail. I don't think I've quite processed the fact that not only is my year abroad over; it's been over for nearly two months.

Opposite my university was a little falafel place that did falafel wraps and chips for the princely sum of about 4€. I only ever tried it once, which is possibly my biggest regret of the year. There is something incredibly satisfying about a flatbread filled with salad and falafel, and it's hard to describe how it feels to be sitting in a foreign country where you speak the language - but not the language that the owner of the restaurant was chatting to his friend in. It feels more authentic somehow, to be sat eating a traditionally Middle Eastern food surrounded by people speaking Arabic.

What I had for lunch today was somewhat less authentic, but no less satisfying. A while ago, on one of the weekly trips to the deli, I spotted a box of falafel mix and decided I had to buy it. It was simplicity itself to make - just add water to the dried mix and give it a good stir, leave it for 2-3 minutes then fry for about 30 seconds in hot oil. In the absence of pitta bread, I decided to have my falafel as part of a salad, and dressed it with a yoghurt and mint dressing. The mint was sourced all the way from our back garden, and pre-washed by the sudden shower that lasted just long enough for the laundry on the line to get soaked and for me to rush out into the rain to get it in.


While I'd love to find a tried-and-tested, genuine falafel recipe, a mix like this definitely fits the bill in the interim.

No comments:

Post a Comment